Sunday, December 7, 2008

Musicality

On Tuesdays discussion about Music, I had my hand up a few times but I was never called on, nevertheless here's my chance to tell you, Angelo, that I agree. When it comes to Hip Hop, it's a genre that I have loved to dance to since I was six-years old and my mother signed me up for dance classes. I see Hip Hop and Rap in many ways. I think of the mainstream videos with all the sex, Cristal, bling and fancy cars, and I can't stand it, but then I think of Run DMC and LL Cool J, please bear with me if I don't know all the popular artists nowadays since I grew up on Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, Queen and Bruce Springsteen, and I see Hip Hop for what it meant to convey from the get go, a celebration of art and the influence of the Black community and how much their people, both emotionally and mentally, had to give, individually and collectively.I think of Kanye West, and not that I know so much about him, but he could use whatever hook, belonging to whoever he wants, and I, as an individual, would still be enamored by his lyrics, his mindset and the deep truthes that he speaks of.Every genre borrows something from someone else yet people in our society tend to pick on hip hop most often. Mr. Vanilla Ice made it big off of Queen and David Bowie's hook yet refused to admit it, and people forgot about it. Even though I love my Queen, I admit Vanilla's was catchy and it made him HUGE! Music will progress, and one person will always catch a flaw, like you said, and help spark some controversy. People need to pay attention to the lyrics, whether or not they speak to the masses rather than attacking the artist because of the obvious hook that was borrowed. Every genre uses repetition in this business, but that doesn't mean than an artist cannot strike original genius within their capability to make music. I remember when I was 13 and P. Diddy, or whatever his name is today, borrowed The Police's hook from "Every Breath You Take" and I ask anyone reading this...Did anyone in the business, or in his fan base say anything or object to the fact that he had used repetition? Obviously not, he still had a hit and made bank.

No comments: